(CNN) -- A Catholic aid organization operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the country's government have accused Uganda-based rebels of massacring 400 civilians during Christmas celebrations last week.
The United Nations peacekeeping force in Congo put the death toll at 189 and said the Lord's Resistance Army rebels also abducted 20 children.
Caritas International expressed its "shock" at the killing spree in northeastern Congo, blaming the rebels for attacking a Christmas day concert sponsored by the Catholic church in the town of Faradje. LRA rebels also burned down a church in another village, it said.
"The areas have been plundered, leaving the people in desperate need of aid," the organization said in a news release issued on Monday. "Caritas says that the number of dead bodies risk spreading disease."
Posted By DF to CNIN - The Conservative News Intelligence Network at 12/30/2008 03:04:00 PM